Thursday, December 9, 2010

Classic Cars And Scam Artists

I've been racking my brain once again on a subject to write about this time, and you guys know that my favorite two cars to talk about are the first generation camaro, and the second generation corvette, specifically the 1967 corvette, and it seems that my brain has taken a leave of absence, will it return, nobody knows.

You know that I spend a lot of time trying to help you guys, and girls not get ripped off on a classic car purchase, I hear about it all the time, and it disturbs me to the point that I would like to go and meet the person who ripped you off so I can do an article about them on all of our web sites, unfortunately enough people get scammed all the time on classic car purchases, and on the restoration of them.

I'm going to tell you a little story about a shop that here in Salt Lake, all though I won't tell you their name, I don't want to hear from any attorneys over this article, so I can't say who it is, but it's a disturbing story, and the only reason that I'm going to repeat ii is to possibly save one of our readers a bit of agony, I hope that it can help at least one person.

The story begins with a doctor here in our city taking his Plymouth valiant to be restored, and that things that happened to him during the ordeal, I would hope that this is not a common thing, but I don't like to hear these things, so I will relay it it hops of saving one of our loyal readers from the same type of thing, it's not pretty, so get ready.

This old boy decides to take his baby to the shop for a restoration, and he gets all of the details worked out, and delivers it to the shop, if he's like most of us, the excitement of getting his car restored is surging through his body, he's feeling all giddy after finding just the right shop to restore his car, he has checked them out, and has heard good things about them, he has worked out the time that it will take to get the job done, and knows what he wants.

The work begins on the car, and at the first things are going a long smooth, just as he expected them too, but somewhere during the process that owner of the car sees something that he doesn't like happening with the restoration of the car, and he contacts the owner of the shop to see what can be done to fix the issue, after chatting with the owner of the shop they come to the conclusion that the car needs to issue needs to be fixed, this is where things go south on the owner of the car.

The owner of the shop, for whatever reason makes his restoration techs redo the entire car, and at this point charges the owner of the car again for the work on his car, and some how hides it in the paperwork to make it seem right, this happened not once, or even twice, but four times, and every time charging the owner of the car again, to the tune of $400,000 dollars, and the owner had no idea what was going on, one of my friends ran in to the owner of this car at a show, and was asking him about the restoration.

The owner told him this while they were chatting about the car, my buddy is the owner of another restoration shop here in Salt Lake, and has had a lot of his cars in shows, and has never done this to a customer, it is a disturbing thing to hear, and I don't enjoy hearing it, it makes our entire industry look like scam artists and rip offs, I'm here to assure you this is not the case. most shops are fair and honest with their customers, but like any industry we have our bad apples, and if you find one, just pull you car from their shop, and get your money back.

It's your right to make 100% sure that your getting the best quality restoration work that is possible on your car, it's the shop's job to disclose everything that is happening on the restoration of your car, it's their job to make sure that you get what you came there for, and nothing less, their job is to produce a quality restoration that is at least to factory specs, and it's the same for hot rod work, or customs, it just doesn't matter what they tell you, you should always get what you want, if you ask them for a show car, then it should be show quality work, if you ask them to build a driver, then that is what they should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment